The International Day for Biological Diversity will be celebrated on Monday, 22 May 2017. This day has been specially declared by the United Nations in order to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues. It is also a great moment promote biodiversity and the Let It Grow campaign to your visitors and community.
This year we want to go really big! We ask you to make plans for a biodiversity event at your institution on 22 May, or the weekend of 20-21 May. This can be whatever suits your institution, a whole spectrum of activities is possible:
– Build insect hotels and birdhouses with your guests.
– Host a networking and sustainability event for your community’s local businesses.
– Collaborate with local partners and organise excursions to natural areas in your vicinity.
– Host a citizen science event such as a BioBlitz (biodiversity measurement).
– Work with your local municipality to create ‘left spaces’ around the city and encourage visitors to help at these spaces on world Biodiversity Day.
Many institutions already have a history of celebrating this special day; so it’s also absolutely fine to give the “Let It Grow” label to a local biodiversity event, programme or workshop you were already planning to run. You don’t have to re-invent the wheel!
We would love to know what you have planned. Send your stories, initiatives and experiences to (email@example.com). We’ll be happy to share them with the world. Don’t forget to add the hashtag #letitgrowcampaign to your stories on social media. Good luck and Let It Grow!
Photo courtesy of Sóstó Zoo